Upgrade Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 to Windows 10 for FREE

Andy

Administrator
Creative Team
User ID
Reaction score
Even though Microsoft's free Windows upgrade offer is technically over, you can still upgrade your good old Windows 7 or Windows 8 PC to Windows 10 for FREE.

The process is seamless and reasonably easy and I have done this many times without activation issues.

All you need to do is just to grab the Microsoft Windows 10 media creation tool, then run the tool and select 'Upgrade this PC';
Alternatively, you can also download the Windows 10 ISO, and then mount the .ISO and run the ESD-ISO\setup.exe (Windows 10 Setup) and select 'Upgrade this PC'.

Next step is, you want to select the first option, which is to 'Keep personal files and apps' -- this will do a seamless upgrade and you don't need to re-install all of your apps.

Other available options are:
'Keep personal files only' (which will remove your Settings and apps, but not your files.) OR
'Nothing' (which will remove everything) -- Good option if you want to re-sell your PC, or you want a blank slate Windows 10.

The Windows 10 should pick up your existing Windows 7 or Windows 8 product key, but in case you asked to enter a product key, simply enter the Windows 7 or Windows 8 key. The installer will accept this key and the installation process will continue normally.

If you're using a Windows 8 or 8.1 system with the product key embedded in your UEFI or BIOS, you may also be able to click 'I don't have a product key.' and Windows 10 will be able to find the key in your UEFI firmware later and activate your system automatically.

That's about it, should you ever want to reinstall Windows 10 in the future, you should be able to use the same Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 key you entered here. That key will be associated with a digital license on Microsoft's activation servers, allowing you to continue reinstalling Windows 10 even if Microsoft disables this method of acquiring Windows 10.

You can also sign in to your Windows 10 with a Microsoft account and that key will be then associated with your Microsoft account, making it super easy to reactivate your digital license if you ever need to reinstall Windows 10 later.

Let me know if this article works for you by commenting down below 👇

Short URL:
Back