Andy

Administrator
Creative Team
User ID
Reaction score
In the world of insurance, where policies and claims often seem wrapped in layers of complexity, real-life experiences can shine a light on what's truly behind those glossy brochures and friendly customer service promises. Today, I'm taking you through my personal journey with Tower Insurance – an odyssey that's been anything but straightforward.

It was a day like any other until I returned to find my parked car had been the victim of a hit-and-run. A note tucked under the windshield wiper revealed the story: a silver Audi had reversed into my vehicle and then disappeared. It was a simple case, or so I thought.

Fuelled by a mix of frustration and responsibility, I promptly submitted a claim to Tower Insurance. In my claim, I made it clear: I was not at fault. My car was parked, the engine off, I was away, and a silver Audi had reversed into it, leaving behind nothing but damages and a note from a witness. Little did I know, this was just the beginning of a saga that would test my patience and understanding of the insurance world.

Tower's response was my first curveball. They asked me to split my claim into two – C90203204 for the rear bumper, and C90207611 for the left doors. "Unnecessary complexity," I thought, but I complied, expecting a smooth process ahead.

If there's a key lesson I learned, it's that communication is the lifeblood of any insurance claim. Yet, mine was marred by delays and mixed messages. Emails seemed to vanish into the ether, and phone calls became a labyrinth of "hold" music and unfulfilled promises.

The plot thickened when I went to collect my car from Whangaparāoa Collision Repairs. The vehicle, only partially repaired by the panel beater, was ready for pickup. Despite assurances and clear evidence that I was not at fault, I was blindsided by a demand for a $500 excess fee. It felt like being penalised in a game I didn’t know I was playing.

This debacle left my car imprisoned at the panel beater's, and my family's life in limbo. Our daily routines, work commitments, and eagerly awaited holiday plans were all held hostage by a dispute over a fee I believed I shouldn't owe.

Refusing to be a bystander in my own story, I reached out to the Insurance & Financial Services Ombudsman (IFSO) for help. It was a move borne of desperation and determination – a step towards reclaiming not just my car but also my peace of mind.

Through this ordeal, I’ve come to realise the importance of understanding the fine print and standing firm in the face of adversity. To anyone navigating the murky waters of insurance claims: arm yourself with knowledge, document everything, and remember, persistence is your strongest ally.

As I write this, the chapter is yet to close on my Tower Insurance tale. But what remains clear is that the true test of an insurance company is not in their marketing but in their handling of your worst days.

Have you had a similar experience? How did you navigate it? Share your stories in the comments below. Let's shed more light on the realities of dealing with insurance claims and learn from each other’s journeys.

Hello everyone,

I wanted to provide an update on my Tower Insurance claim experience that I shared here on 19 December 2023. Your support and insights have been invaluable, and it's important to me to close the loop with you on how things unfolded.

After enduring a series of challenges and miscommunications regarding the processing of my claims (C90203204 for the rear bumper and C90207611 for the left doors), the journey with Tower Insurance has finally reached a conclusion. The core of the dispute revolved around the excess fees and the separation of what I believed to be a single incident into two distinct claims.

The resolution came after a series of detailed discussions and clarifications. Tower Insurance acknowledged the confusion and offered a goodwill gesture by contributing 50% ($250) towards the excess for claim C90207611. While the journey was fraught with frustration, this gesture was a welcome step towards rectifying the situation.
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 3.14.34 PM.png
Moreover, I received confirmation that both of my claims have now been officially closed, and I've ensured that my policies will not renew, marking the end of this chapter with Tower Insurance.

Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 3.21.16 PM.png

This experience has underscored the importance of clear communication and understanding the intricacies of insurance policies. I'm relieved to have reached a resolution but remain mindful of the lessons learned through this process.

To those of you facing your own insurance challenges, I encourage you to stay informed, assertive, and persistent. The path to resolution may not always be straightforward, but it's important to stand up for your rights as a policyholder.

Thank you once again for your support and for sharing your own experiences. It's through our collective stories that we can help each other navigate the often complex world of insurance.

Short URL:
Back