Are both ends using MikroTik router?

Doesn't matter though; however, you want to make sure that they're both using the same encryption.

Try disabling the PFS if it's currently enabled.

Both PFS is set to none.

I think it's a firewall issue, I forgot to allow ESP traffic, and when I set things up the first time, I did some pings and that establishes the connection. But after the lifetime of connections finishes, it needs to reestablish and somehow could not establish by itself.
Allowing ESP traffic in the firewall seems to fix the issue. It's been running for a while now.

Hi,
If I have multiple wan (ex. wan1 and wa2) and I want to make a backup IPSec tunnel, so If wan1 goes down I can use wan2, how can I do?
I've linked subnet 192.168.100.0/24 to 192.168.178.0/24 and vicevera through an IPSec tunnel and SA Src. Address in wan1 (ex 1.1.1.1) an it works; but if I want to link the same subnets using SA Src. Address in wan2 (ex 2.2.2.2) and the same SA Dst. Address I got an error inside mikrotik GUI:
Schermata 2020-04-17 alle 08.39.35.png

So is there a way to have 2 IPSec tunnel that are connecting the same subnets?
Can I maybe use templates for this? But I don't understand how to use them, I didn't find mach docs about this.
Before use pure IPSec I was used to create some IP-IP tunnels before and over these tunnels I configured IPSec; in this way I got routed tunnels with different priorities and so If one failed I was able to use the second that was always on but with less priority.
Is there a way to have this same behavior with pure IPSec?
Thanks.

Hi @cheis,

If your plan is to have a reliable backup connection, I'd set up a WAN with VRRP protocol, which gives you the benefit of having two routers.
In case something went wrong with the primary router, the secondary router can kick in and take over the role of the primary router.

Cheers

Have you defined the other end's LAN network?
Your Winbox layout is a bit different than mine, are you using the latest Winbox version (I'm currently using v3.21-x64)

And here's one of my established IPsec -> Policies tab:
View attachment 155View attachment 156View attachment 157

On the IPsec -> Peers tab, you can fill with ::/0 if you want to accept all IPsec connection regardless their source IP address.

Hi @Andy,

Thanks to your kind work and let us figure out the basic setting guide for IPsec Peer to Peer. First of all I am totally noob about this Mikrotik, The same message appear for SA.dst address when I trying to save the configuration. My Mikrotik now with 6.43.8, the latest is 6.46.6 so mean that we need to upgrade so to overcome this problem? Putting in ::/0 does the same thing same error message appear.

PS: Under my Peer tab and Identities tab all is empty...... Just not sure how to set it too.....

If my setting was incorrect please help to correct me, I am not networking savvy I only know very simple basic thing.

Thanks in advance.

My network setup as shown as the diagram below.

IPSec.jpg

Site to site.jpg

Site to site2.jpg

Last edited:
Hi @Andy,

Thanks to your kind work and let us figure out the basic setting guide for IPsec Peer to Peer. First of all I am totally noob about this Mikrotik, The same message appear for SA.dst address when I trying to save the configuration. My Mikrotik now with 6.43.8, the latest is 6.46.6 so mean that we need to upgrade so to overcome this problem? Putting in ::/0 does the same thing same error message appear.

PS: Under my Peer tab and Identities tab all is empty...... Just not sure how to set it too.....

If my setting was incorrect please help to correct me, I am not networking savvy I only know very simple basic thing.

Thanks in advance.

My network setup as shown as the diagram below.

View attachment 176
View attachment 177
View attachment 178
Hi @Edwink,
  • SA Src. Address: fill it with your source WAN address.
  • SA. Dst. Address: fill it with the other router's WAN address, you can fill it with 0.0.0.0 if the other router has a dynamic WAN address.
See my screenshot below: (I tested on RouterOS v6.44.5)
Screen Shot 2020-05-05 at 12.03.24 PM.png

Hi @Edwink,
  • SA Src. Address: fill it with your source WAN address.
  • SA. Dst. Address: fill it with the other router's WAN address, you can fill it with 0.0.0.0 if the other router has a dynamic WAN address.
See my screenshot below: (I tested on RouterOS v6.44.5)
View attachment 179

Hi @Andy
  • SA Src. Address: I already fill with source WAN address.
  • SA. Dst. Address: is dynamic so I have try fill with 0.0.0.0 and also try with ::/0 and also "empty" but return same error message appear.
Upgraded to latest OS 6.46.6 on our both site miktotik RB3011 same model.
Ordinary.jpg

Above is our existing networking layout
Both are Mikrotik RB3011 updated to latest ROM 6.46.6

Planning :
1.Moving back "server 3" from "site 2" to "site 1"
2. Site 2 clients will access Server 3 on site 1 by IPsec site2 site VPN
Planning.jpg

Query:
1. Can we maintain all same range IP subnet 192.168.1.x/24 or create another IP subnet range 192.168.2.0/24 for Server 3? Is it possible to maintain 2 IP range under one router or just maintain same range easy to maintain?

2. Concern about the accounting system speed reluctant due to access through WAN

Total Networking devices:
Server-3
Client-40
Network printer-6

Thanks in advance.

Edwin

1. Can we maintain all same range IP subnet 192.168.1.x/24 or create another IP subnet range 192.168.2.0/24 for Server 3? Is it possible to maintain 2 IP range under one router or just maintain same range easy to maintain?
I wouldn't recommend using the same IP network for 2 different sites.
I'd use something like 192.168.1.0/24 for site 1 and 192.168.2.0/24 for site 2.
With this configuration, it'll be much easier to manage the network in the future, as well as implementing a site-to-site IPsec tunnel.

2. Concern about the accounting system speed reluctant due to access through WAN
Site-to-site IPsec tunnel if configured properly shouldn't have any speed degradation over WAN.
This is also depending on your WAN connection, if it's a fibre, there shouldn't be an issue on both upload & download speed.
If it's a DSL line, you'll probably have a slower upload speed.
In NZ, mostly we have 100 Mbps fibres & gigabit fibres, I barely find any issues with both uploading and downloading using site-to-site IPsec, except on rural areas who are still on DSL connections.

I wouldn't recommend using the same IP network for 2 different sites.
I'd use something like 192.168.1.0/24 for site 1 and 192.168.2.0/24 for site 2.
With this configuration, it'll be much easier to manage the network in the future, as well as implementing a site-to-site IPsec tunnel.

Site-to-site IPsec tunnel if configured properly shouldn't have any speed degradation over WAN.
This is also depending on your WAN connection, if it's a fibre, there shouldn't be an issue on both upload & download speed.
If it's a DSL line, you'll probably have a slower upload speed.
In NZ, mostly we have 100 Mbps fibres & gigabit fibres, I barely find any issues with both uploading and downloading using site-to-site IPsec, except on rural areas who are still on DSL connections.

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your suggestion, I will implement all necessary configuration just to make it work way more better.

But until now I still can't pass through the ::/0 or 0.0.0.0 in the "SA Dst address" in Policies Tab, hope you can figure out for me.
Anyway if we reverse it and put in the 0.0.0.0 in "SA src address" and and fix WAN IP actual address in "SA Dst address" than it can apply without any issue.

Attachments

• empty2.jpg
    empty2.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 455
  • empty3.jpg
    empty3.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 434
Hi @Edwink,

All good mate, I look forward to hearing your IPsec tunnel up and running!

Let's try a different approach, go to your IPsec -> Identities, create a new peer identity with port override on the Generate Policy.

1590655739597.png

By doing port override, phase 2 will be dynamic, meaning you don't need to set up phase 2, ultimately you will be able to adjust phase 1 as you like.

Hope this works for you.

Cheers

Short URL:
Back