[Solved] Error applying Virtual Switch Properties due to LBFO deprecation in Windows Server 2022

Andy

Administrator
Creative Team
User ID
Reaction score
Screenshot 2023-02-23 at 12.51.40 PM.png

Have you ever encountered the frustrating error message below when creating a Virtual Switch on Hyper-V?
Error applying Virtual Switch Properties changes

Failed while adding virtual Ethernet switch connections.

Attaching a virtual switch to an LBFO team is deprecated. Switch Embedded Teaming (SET) is an inbox replacement for this functionality. For more information on LBFO deprecation please see https://aka.ms/LBFODeprecation. To override this block, use the AllowNetLbfoleams option in New-VMSwitch.

If so, you're not alone! This error can be a real headache for those looking to set up virtual switches using Hyper-V. But don't worry; in this article, we'll walk you through the steps to override this block and successfully create a virtual switch using Switch Embedded Teaming (SET) instead.

Let's get started with the solution! First, we need to create a teaming of your network cards using the Server Manager. In my case, I'll be using Switch Independent Teaming mode and Hyper-V Port Load balancing mode. By following these steps, we can ensure that our virtual switch is set up correctly and can provide the performance and reliability you need. Let's dive in!

Screenshot 2023-02-23 at 1.09.09 PM.png

After completing the previous step, use the following PowerShell command to create a virtual switch based on the teaming you set up:

Code:
New-VMSwitch -Name "{Name your new vSwitch here}" -NetAdapterName "{NIC Team name you created previously}" -AllowNetLbfoTeams $true -AllowManagementOS $true

Screenshot 2023-02-23 at 1.01.26 PM.png

Next, navigate to the Virtual Switch Manager in the Hyper-V Manager to confirm that the vSwitch has been created successfully.

Screenshot 2023-02-23 at 1.10.10 PM.png

Congratulations, you've completed the steps to create a virtual switch using teaming in Hyper-V Manager! By following these simple steps, you'll be able to improve the performance and reliability of your network connections. If you have any questions or encounter any issues along the way, don't hesitate to reach out for assistance. Thanks for reading!

Hi Andy,

I have the same issues with my newly build server Windows Server 2022 with Hyper-V Role.

I created a network teaming same setup above and when i fired the Powershell command posted above to create a virtual switch for my HyperV it gives an error.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-30 082108.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-09-30 082108.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 539
Hi @MRCHIP,

It seems like there's an issue with the command you're using to create a new virtual switch in Hyper-V. The error message suggests that there might be a problem with the specified network adapter or the naming convention used for the virtual switch. Here are some troubleshooting steps and adjustments to the command that might help resolve the issue:
  1. Check Network Adapter Existence:
    • Ensure that the network adapter named "NETWORKTEAM" exists and is correctly configured on the server. You can use the Get-NetAdapter PowerShell command to list all network adapters and verify the names.
  2. Administrator Privileges:
    • Please make sure you are running PowerShell as an Administrator to have the necessary privileges to execute the command.
  3. Check for Existing Virtual Switch:
    • Ensure there isn't already a virtual switch named "LAN-VSWITCH". If there is, choose a different name for the new virtual switch.
  4. Syntax Adjustment:
    • Adjust the syntax of your command to ensure there are no typographical errors. Here's a corrected version of your command:
      Code:
      New-VMSwitch -Name "LAN-VSWITCH" -NetAdapterName "NETWORKTEAM" -AllowManagementOS $true
  5. Check Hyper-V Role:
    • Please ensure the Hyper-V role is installed and properly configured on the server.
  6. Examine Event Logs:
    • I'd like you to look into the Event Viewer for any related errors or warnings that might give you more insight into what's causing the issue.
  7. Consult Documentation:
    • Please also take a look at the official Microsoft documentation for creating virtual switches in Hyper-V for additional guidance.
I hope these steps help in resolving the issue you're facing.

Cheers

Short URL:
Back