Get Windows Product Key without installing any software

Andy

Administrator
Creative Team
User ID
Reaction score
Assuming you can boot your computer without any problems, you can easily create a simple VBScript that will read the value out of the registry and then translate it into the format that you need for reinstalling.

Copy and paste the following into a Notepad window:

Code:
Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
MsgBox ConvertToKey(WshShell.RegRead("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DigitalProductId"))

Function ConvertToKey(Key)
Const KeyOffset = 52
i = 28
Chars = "BCDFGHJKMPQRTVWXY2346789"
Do
Cur = 0
x = 14
Do
Cur = Cur * 256
Cur = Key(x + KeyOffset) + Cur
Key(x + KeyOffset) = (Cur \ 24) And 255
Cur = Cur Mod 24
x = x -1
Loop While x >= 0
i = i -1
KeyOutput = Mid(Chars, Cur + 1, 1) & KeyOutput
If (((29 - i) Mod 6) = 0) And (i <> -1) Then
i = i -1
KeyOutput = "-" & KeyOutput
End If
Loop While i >= 0
ConvertToKey = KeyOutput
End Function

You’ll need to use File -> Save As, change the “Save as type” to “All Files” and then name it ProductKey.vbs or something similar ending with the .VBS extension. We’d recommend saving to the desktop for easy access.

01.png

Once you’ve saved it, you can just double-click and the popup window will show you your product key.

02.png

Tips: If you use CTRL+C when the popup window is active, it will copy the contents of the window to the clipboard, and then you can paste it into Notepad or somewhere else.

–––

If you want to find the UEFI-embedded key and write it down, you can do so quite simply. Just open the Start menu, type “powershell”, and run the Powershell application that comes up.

Then, enter the following command and press enter:
Code:
(Get-WmiObject -query 'select * from SoftwareLicensingService').OA3xOriginalProductKey
You should be rewarded with your embedded license key. Write it down and store it in a safe place.

03.png

Thank you for the suggestion. I’ll try it and update you if it works. I didn’t know you could get the product key this way, and I’m surprised by how easy it looks. Windows keys can be expensive, and I don’t want to spend that much money on a key. I already paid for Microsoft Office, and it’s not fair that other features also require money. But I don’t trust buying keys from any websites, as there are many scammers out there. For instance, I heard that someone purchased a key that stopped working after a week. Those keys can only be used temporarily. I read about legit windows 10 product key reddit, with great reviews, but I’ll try your method first.

Last edited:
Please keep in mind that OEM keys are meant to be permanently bound with the first device where it was used to activate Windows. After that, you can't use that key on another device. So always get a retail key if you think you need to transfer the key to other devices in the future.

Short URL:
Back